Paris in Love ARTastic DT Scrapbook layout

I’m in love- with this layout, with Paris, with Dylan…. and this layout for the ARTastic design team really was a labour of love. It took me about 7 hours to make- it involved a lot of hand stitching, mixed media, backing tiny cut files, etc. The inspiration art was Carousel Delight by Karen Pierce:

Isn’t it gorgeous? I love carousels, they are always so pretty. This reminded me of a beautiful carousel that I photographed at Montmartre in Paris, so I decided to scrap that. The challenge was to use butterflies. I had a picture in my head of how I wanted this layout to turn out, and I’m happy to say that it came out very similar. 

I also tried filming it, not realizing how quickly my phone would fill up filming in 1080p, even if it was time lapse. But 7 hours is a lot! I’m learning.

I started with a carousel cut file that I made a while back for a craft project. I cut it from white cardstock, painted the horses with gesso, then watercolours, and then gold embossed the poles  and manes and hoofs. I hand cut a triangle for the roof of the carousel and painted it with various green/blue shimmer sprays. I should have used gesso, as it would have been easier to blend, but it turned out pretty nice anyways, with no warp.

I then hand stitched around the roof and several lines down the slope. For the title, I used my alpha painting technique to get the colour I wanted. I cut love from a sheet of Amy Tan Oh Happy Life paper with various words and phrases, then stitched it down with a back and forth. 

The most time consuming part was cutting all the butterflies, painting them, letting them dry, and backing them with vellum. It didn’t help that the first set I cut were way too detailed for the size, and took forever, and didn’t look good cause they were all ripped and mangled. So I simplified, which made the cut go that much faster. It also took me a while of playing with placement to figure out that I needed to back them with vellum, otherwise it looked like a jumbled mess. Finally, when I got them how I liked them, I stitched them all down with various stitches.

The other touches I added were washi tapes across the top and bottom of the carousel and around the horses’ necks, as well as the photos, which I printed on my Instax printer. I added some hearts and a laurel from Paige Evan’s Take Me Away thicker sheet.

I wanted to use some french ephemera from C’est La Vie, cause Paris.

I also cut a couple of butterflies from marbled MAMBI paper. Some clear purple sequins added the final touch to this layout.

I hope you are as inspired as I was by this month’s challenge, and upload your creation to the ARTastic challenge blog!



Share Button
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Paris in Love ARTastic DT Scrapbook layout

  1. Tracey says:

    Wow…your page is amazing! Absolutely love all the pretty details :)